The Anaheim Japanese Free Methodist Church originally began in the early 1930’s on Citron Street. In the 1950’s, outreach efforts brought many new families to the church which had its entire membership relocated during World War II. In 1961, the church’s Board of Trustees approved the purchase of a 1.75-acre parcel of land on 1001 Mayflower Street for $26,000. The church family moved to its new location on May 24, 1964; approximately 200 people attended the first worship service in the new sanctuary.
In the late 1990’s, the “Great Adventure Capital Stewardship Campaign” was launched during which over $1 million was pledged by faithful church members. After many, many years of adjustments, changes, and prayer, the vision for the remodeled facility became focused and clear. Groundbreaking for a new classroom wing, restrooms, and play area took place on Senior Sunday, 2009.
Today, AFMC is a multi-generational body of Christ that honors the faithfulness of its seniors while nurturing and encouraging the energy and enthusiasm of its youth.